TZ Data to XML Project
These are the outputs of my attempts to translate the native tz data into XML for easier parsing for applications other than implementations of the standard C routines related to time.
This is the first step in a project to merge time zone and map data by the Time Zone Map Group, lead by Chuck Ellis.
- tz2xml.zip: A VC++ program to translate native tz data files into XML. Warning: This requires a certain directory structure and a few modified files from the tz code to export shared functions. I’m working to fix that.
- /tools/tz/tzxml.zip: Native tz data files translated to XML, including comments. Suitable for replacement as the native format. Generated by running tz2xml on the tz data files.
Yet To Do
- Namespace support.
- XSD support.
- An XSLT to translate back to native tz data format.
- An XSLT to output popular data needs, e.g. all the zones, all the rules, etc.
- An updated zic to use the new XML format instead of the existing format.
- Unix port of tz2data (I’ll need help on that one).
Unfortunately, I’m but one man. If you’d like to help on any of these projects, let me know.